Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A little princess

Today I volunteered at SETA Head Start like I do every Wednesday, from 9 - 1pm. I love hanging out with all the kids, they have the best imaginations and the random-est conversations.

This little girl Devi was walking around at recess with her hand on her chin. And this was our conversation:

K- Devi what are you doing? Are you ok?
D- Yes I'm just thinking.
K- What are you thinking about?
D- Luis
K- Ok, not sure who that is but you can tell me about Luis
D- Luis the hamster is very sick and needs medicine
K- (thinking is she really concern about a real hamster or is this make believe)
Do you need my help making some medicine?
D- Why yes I do. ( And then ran across the yard and didn't come back.)

This same little girl played dress up today and put on a princess dress and held a bouquet of fake pink flowers. She looked soo cute like she was a flower girl in a wedding.

Let me just paint a picture of this little girl for you.
Shoulder length light brown hair with bangs, it is always down, knotty and in her face
Her clothes are always to big or to small or hand-me-downs from a brother
She goes a mile a minute, nothing stops her even when she falls and eats dirt
She has the best imagination ever and believes in everything even the leprechaun!
She greets me with the biggest hugs every Wednesday.
At nap time she sucks her thumb and snuggles.

Today she sat on my lap for a long time and I was just talking to her and I asked her if she ever wears her hair up. And she said, "No but I do loves pony tails." So I took my hair out and put my rubber band in her hair, and her face lit up. It was so great to see this little girls beautiful face minus all the knotty hair thats usually in it. I loved seeing her smile and be so proud of her new look.

I'm curious to see if next week her hair will be up. Sometimes I just want to take these kids and keep them for a few days and bring them to like Disneyland or something. Devi would love it there and I'm pretty sure it would be the high light in her little life. She is a trooper and a little princess to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment