Wednesday, May 5, 2010

37 hours down...3 to go.

Today I volunteered at Head Start, and the kids were in rare form. I'm guessing all kids have their days just like adults do but, man today was a different story.

Children not following directions, throwing fits, screaming, hitting, kicking! I saw it all today, well except biting! WOW! I've come to conclusion that the way these children act reflects right back to their parents. I understand that every kid is different and not exactly like their parents but definitely the product of.

There is a little boy in our class that has some serious anger issues. Today I was playing soccer with him just kicking a ball back and forth, and I tried to teach him how to stop the ball then kick it and he just yelled at me. So then I decided to just kick it and let him kick the ball however he wanted. Every time the ball would go pass me I'd just go get it but if my pass didn't go right to him he yelled. I tried to explain to him that he had to move to get the ball and in soccer the passes aren't perfect. The next time he passed to me, it went way far and was not even close to me so instead of getting mad like him I just said look we don't always pass it perfect not even you. He stood quiet and then replied can you please go get the ball. Did he finally realize he was in the wrong or realize to get his way he had to tone it WAY down and say please. I treat all these kids the same and don't make excuses for the way they act. I believe if you give them a standard and directions they can and will come around. They just have to know you aren't going to cave and that No means NO!

This same kid raises his fists at you every time you say anything correcting to him. So I asked the Lead teacher how are his parents and she said that instead of hugging the mom when she drops him off she says don't kick me that hard. WTF!!! Really.. who does that. Blew my mind. The kid is five and it hurts my heart that I don't think this kid knows what love is and might not ever know. Not sure if the past five years of damage can ever be undone.

I'm nervous to be a parent because I want to make sure that I can be there for them, to love them and snuggle them. But I know for sure that I will be an active parent, and be the parent not their friend. Everyone needs love and direction and when they don't have it crazy shit is more likely to happen. Being loving and holding your ground goes a long way.

I once heard that you should give and receive at least eight hugs a day. I'm even under my quota! : ( Tell those in your life you love them and even give them hug. You'd be surprised eight hugs doesn't sound like a lot but start counting and see how many you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment